2019 Black History Month Essay Contest
A celebration of BLACK HISTORY MONTH, 2019
Rehoboth Alliance and the Afro Canadian Community of Wood Buffalo
Present: THE LINCOLN ALEXANDER
The Contest Prizes Include:
• IPad Air 2
Email your Essay to: by January 18, 2019
Facebook: Black History, Wood Buffalo
The competition is open to all students in elementary, junior and senior high schools. Entries must be the original work of the student.
The essay must be double-spaced and typed. (Please note: All categories are to use “Cosmic 12 Font” for their essays).
Submit your essay to: email@example.com by January 18, 2019. Winners will be announced on February 13,
and prizes awarded at the Black History Banquet and Awards Night on Friday, February 22, 2019.
There are three categ ories:
• Elementary (Grades 4-6)
Write an essay on the Topic: What does Wakanda mean to you and how does it portray our Black Identity?
No less than 200 words
• Junior High / High School (Grades 7-9)
Write an essay on the Topic: What does Inclusion, Diversity and Equality mean to you?
How is it evident in our region (Fort McMurray) and what can we do better?
No less than 300 words
• Senior High School / High School (Grades 10-12)
Write an essay on the Topic: How has activism evolved for Black Canadians?
• JUDGING CRITERIA
Essays will be judged on the following criteria:
• To what extent does the essay address the question or topic.
• How well the essay is organized.
• Using personal and non-personal examples to illustrate your point of view.
• Writing precision (spelling, grammar and punctuation).