Amazing Waste Race 2013
Grade 5s Eco Tips for a Greener School Year!
The Grade 5 class has been hard at work thinking of ways to make FMIS greener. Follow our Eco-tips below for a sustainable school year.
- If possible, ride your bike or walk to school.
- Use last year’s school supplies.
- Buy a canvas and cardboard binders instead of plastic.
- Buy recycled paper.
- Use reusable water bottles instead of plastic.
- Use a lunch box, not paper bags.
- Donate last year’s clothes instead of throwing them away.
- Turn your computer off when you’re not using it.
- Make your own bookmarks.
- Carpool to sports.
- Use refillable pens and pencils.
- Reuse your backpack. Decorate it with cool patches.
- Take out books from the library or swap with friends instead of buying new ones.
- Turn off all the lights in the room when you leave.
- Make sure taps in the bathroom are fully shut off.
- Don’t overuse paper towel in the bathroom. It only takes a small amount ot fry your hands.
- Pack your lunch in reusable containers, and recycle your juice boxes.
- Open window blinds to use natural light in the classroom.
- Turn off projectors when not in use.
- make sure caps are secured tightly on things like glue and markers to avoid waste.
- Save scrap paper from art projects, you may be able to use it again in another project.
More Accolades for the Grade 5 Recycling Program!
In September, Miss Emilie’s Grade 5 class began the second year of the recycling program at FMIS. The program is run as a lunch time club, where each week students collect all the paper from the classrooms, sort it, weigh it, and then recycle it. In November, the club applied for a national grant from the Eco League Fund and was awarded $300 to help cover the supplies of the program.
Now, a new and exciting update!!! The local Shaw TV station has been asked to select one story that will play in a national spot, in order to highlight the community of Fort McMurray. Our program episode is one of two finalists that will be chosen. That is great news for Miss Emilie’s hardworking group of Grade 5′s.
If you have note yet seen our video episode, please click on the link below to check it out!